Sunday, November 2, 2014

One Free College Credit Online - Theology 100



If you're a regular reader here, and have been wondering if we fell off the face the of the earth - we haven't. It's been more a matter of falling down the rabbit hole of SAT studies, as I've expanded my resume from homeschool Mom, to SAT tutor, and school guidance counselor.

Not that it's been all study, study, study. I've found some simple ways to keep the younger children in fall craftiness, while still engaging the teens in serious studies. I'm hoping to get around to posting one or two of our crafty bits of elementary aged, fall, fun before Christmas crafting season begins.  But, first I have to finish up a final assignment for a free online theology course (one credit of a three credit course is offered in an open access format) I found while scouting potential colleges for my oldest, in preparation for the whole guidance counselor thing.

When I noticed, that Prairie Bible Institute was offering a college credit - for free, I just couldn't resist giving it a try.  Really, I don't think anyone who's been pricing college tuition could turn down a free credit.


 


The summer before last I took an online math course from Stanford's free online offerings - it was challenging, and good for expanding some of my concepts for teaching math. It came with a certificate of completion, rather than college credit. It's no longer offered for free, but Stanford does offer others from time to time, as well.

I think it's always good for children to see their parents engaging in both formal and informal learning opportunities. And, taking the Prairie class has given my oldest an opportunity to peek over my shoulder, and see what an online college class looks like, to gauge the difficulties of the tests, and assignments, as he considers whether he might like to try out an online class or two, this spring.

As Henry Ford liked to say, "Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty."
I'll let you guess who T has chosen for his historical fall back figure for the essay portion of the SAT.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

3 comments:

Ticia said...

Okay that sounds really cool!

MaryAnne said...

I'm pretty sure my mom took that same math class from Stanford!

Unknown said...

That's it- You ARE amazing!!!