Wednesday, September 28, 2011

S is for Scarecrow


We turned craft time into a "letter sound" activity for C (age 5) this morning, that could also double as an alliteration lesson for E (age 6).

I started by cutting a cardboard S, to use as a template to trace out on pieces of cardboard for each girl, and to trace and cut pieces of fun foam, fabric, and felt, with a few buttons, and bits of twine, and yarn thrown in (all the scarecrow accoutrements could just as easily be cut from colored paper).


The girls glued the pieces down to their S's to make silly slinking scarecrows who slipped from their sticks and are sauntering away, or something like that. You get the idea, anyway.

We had a lot of fun discussing all the possible "s" words, that could be used to describe the scarecrows, while the girls glued the fabric pieces down, and drew faces on in marker.


Then, C traced the "S is for Scarecrow" I had written on her cardboard in pencil.


While E printed the letters, and took a stab at alliteration, herself.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

I was going to begin doing the letter of the week with a focus on alliteration and writing. I have poems that go with each letter and I never got a chance to do it with K. I like how your scarecrow came out!

Debbie said...

The Scarecrows are so cute. I need to do more to promote handwriting with Selena. This seems to be her struggle area, she seldom wants to attempt to write much anymore. I know she can do more then she tries.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

What a beautiful idea, and I like how you modified the activities for E to make this more interesting for her.

Elise said...

The scarecrows turned out so well. I love a unique idea.

The glue leaves from your previous post are wonderful. I saw them on Mary Lea's blog and thought this idea would be perfect to make flowers to celebrate Spring down here. Now that I have seen your post I can't wait to do this with my cherubs.

Phyllis said...

That is a very cute scarecrow. I know my Quentin love making letters like this with Katie a couple of years ago. We hung them along the top of the walls in th family room. He finally let us take them down this spring!

Unknown said...

This is great! You have a 5- AND 6- year old? You sound like SuperMom! I've just discovered your blog and really enjoyed scrolling through the posts. You have lots of great ideas...we're just beginning the homeschooling process with my preschooler. :)

Carla @ Jansen Family Adventures

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Jansen Family - E is almost 7, so it's not quite as crazy as it sounds :)

Ticia said...

Scarecrow is too cute!

I love how he looks.