Monday, December 20, 2010

Homemade, Color-Your-Own Sun Catchers, and Ornaments



The girls had some quick fun, this morning, coloring in sun catchers for our windows, and tree.


They were very simply made by placing cookie cutters on wax paper, and then filling them with glue.



We weren't sure which way we were going with the craft, when we started, so we added a few sparkles, just for fun (we might have gotten a little carried away with the glitter on the tree). Anyway, once they dried, which took several days...


...I flipped them over, and pushed them out of the cutters...


...and the girls colored them.


Then, I used a needle to poke a hole, or in the case of the ones for the windows - holes, through for a hook, or string, and we hung them.


The sun wasn't fully out yet, when I took the pictures this morning, so you can't see how pretty they look with light coming through them, but they turned out pretty nice.


The girls really enjoyed coloring them. We just used regular, washable markers, and it doesn't rub off. Potentially this method could be used to make color-your-own sun catchers for any time of year, depending on the cookie cutters you use.


One tip, if your cookie cutters aren't straight, glue might escape out around the bottom. But, if you press the cutter down, as the glue dries, the bits on the outside, will break away separately, when you push out the shape.

And, while a thick layer of glue takes longer to dry, it makes for a sturdier sun catcher, that won't twist, or roll up on itself.

It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

I have never heard of this, but I love it! We will definitely be making some of these.

Lady Chadwick said...

very cool! I never knew glue could be such fun!

Unknown said...

what a fun idea!!! You always have such fun new ideas!

What I Did Today said...

These are so neat! I made stickers out of glue when I was a kid. It'll be fun to try out this cookie cutter project.

Phyllis said...

How do you come up with these ideas?! Do you wake up in the morning and say, "I think I will pour some glue into a cookie cutter and see what happens from there"? However you do it, I am glad for it! And you are a doll for sharing them.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Phyllis - Lol! That's kind of how this one came together. Maybe I have too much time on my hands :)

Ticia said...

I wonder if wrapping aluminum foil around the bottom would help with the glue escaping. That's what I've seen suggested for making crayon cookies.

Elle Belles Bows said...

Very neat! Seems easy enough too! Definitely starring this post for later use. Merry Christmas! Kerri