Friday, September 10, 2010

Creation Craft



After the evolutionary slant of the Museum of the Rockies, and The Magic School Bus Sees Stars (look back a few posts to read about those), I thought it was probably a good time to review the creation week, and set the timeline straight again, in the younger children's minds.

I'm assuming, if you've read this far, you are probably familiar with the creation account, from Genesis 1. But if not, you can read it here. I raided our craft cupboard for construction paper, stickers, tissue paper, glue, and crayons, and markers, to go along with the story.


Day 1: We started at the beginning, with the creation of the heavens, and earth, when everything was dark, and I gave the girls each an oversized piece of black construction paper.


God created light, and separated the light for day, and the darkness for night. So, we glued a white sheet of construction paper, over half of our black sheet.


Day 2: God separated the sky from the water. We tore strips of blue construction paper, and glued them across the tops, and bottoms of our sheets (I realized midway through, that the blue sky, looked weird going across the black night, so I tore that part off, and replaced it with black - it would be better to only glue it halfway across to begin with).


Day 3: God gathered the water into one place, and made dry land. Then, He caused the plants to grow. I tore out a quick brown "island" for each of the girls. They glued them on, and then covered them with tissue paper, grass, and 3 flower stickers (to help them remember it was the 3rd day).




E (age 5) drew a tree, and I drew one for C (age 4), and they added apple stickers, too.


Day 4: God made the sun to shine in the day, and the moon, and stars at night. We used half circles in white and yellow, to make our sun, and moon. The girls drew on sun rays, and added foil stickers to the night sky.


Day 5: God made the fish, and birds. Again, they added 5 fish stickers, and 5 bird stickers, for day 5.


Day 6: God made the land animals, and created people. They added stickers of cats, and dogs, and then two smiley face stickers, that they drew bodies for.


On the seventh day, God rested. We left the craft on the table to dry, while the girls went off to take a "nap".



It's great to be a homeschooler.

8 comments:

Kylie said...

I love these and they turned out so super cute, what a great idea. :)

Phyllis said...

That is cute and would make a very nice page or inside cover to a timeline book.

Unknown said...

Oh, I LOVE when you make the Bible "hands-on"- and creative! We should all strive to make it "come to life" for our children...

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Nice project! It would be fun to make it in 6 days, I suppose :)

Christy Killoran said...

This is wonderful. I really like the way you used the stickers to serve as a reminder of the day.

Joyful Learner said...

This is perfect! I would have loved to have started the school year with this. I might have to find time to do it with her even though we're past genesis.

Debbie said...

I love how you did this. I get so much inspiration from your blog. Selena is about to finish her section in her science dealing with creation. We've reviewed some of the questions, which kind of stump her. I may just have to use your idea and see if she won't understand it a little better. Thank you for all that you share!

Brimful Curiosities said...

My daughter just started learning the creation story in Sunday School today. I'll have to forward this post to her teacher.