Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Teaberry Strangler - A Mystery, and a Muffin

I finally got my turn with our library's copy of The Teaberry Strangler, Laura Childs' latest novel in the Tea Shop Mystery series.

Though, I generally enjoy the series, I've been mildly disappointed by the last few titles, the characters were beginning to feel stale, and the mysteries were too easy to solve. But this time, Childs pulled it back together. She reintroduced several older characters, tied up some loose ends, and breathed fresh life into familiar friends.

And, the mystery - the strangling death of a neighboring shopkeeper, was interesting, and challenging, with several story lines intertwined. It felt like a fully developed novel, rather than a junior reader, like some of the other cozy "foodie" mysteries out there. It's not the great American mystery, but I think Childs is coming into her own, as a fairly decent novelist.

And, as to the recipes included at the back of the book...


...I found the "Pecan Pie Muffins" particularly tempting. But then, the "Chutney and Cheddar Tea Sandwiches", " Almond Devonshire Cream", and "Butterscotch Scones", also look pretty good. It will be a double session at the gym tonight!

But first, a quick stop off, to link this in as my 6th entry in the 2010 Thriller and Suspense Reading Challenge, at Book Chick City.




It's great to be a homeschooler.

2 comments:

Ticia said...

I haven't had a chance to go back yet and check out some of the others. Have you ever read Half Moon Investigations? It's a young adult mystery novel, you'd probably like it, good mystery.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

Ticia - no, I haven't read any of the Half Moon's. Maybe I could get my son interested in them - so far none of the children really care for mysteries :(