Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Checkerboard Cookies


Lately, the older kids have been claiming to be bored with their board games. I figured if they'd actually take the time to play any of them, they'd probably remember how much fun they were. With the hotter weather driving them inside for the afternoons, I'd rather they spend their time playing games, than flopping around, moaning that they're bored.

Last night, I decided to try a new tactic. I spent a half an hour or so putting together a game of checkers, made out of chocolate, and vanilla, sugar cookie dough. I formed the dough into cubes, and pressed them together with the rolling pin on the cookie sheet. Then, I baked the game board, and a batch of tiny cookies for the game pieces. It didn't turn out exactly perfect...


...but the kids willingly played a couple of games...








...before they devoured it!


And, I haven't heard a single, "Mom, I'm bored" - all afternoon.


It's great to be a homeschooler.

No comments: