Friday, April 3, 2009

If You Give a Homeschool Mom A Cookie - A Week in Review (Sort Of)

If you give a homeschool mom a cookie, she's going to want a cup of coffee to go with it.

Once she has a cookie and a cup of coffee, she'll want to sit down for a quiet minute to look over the headlines. She'll probably ask you to watch the kids.

Looking at the headlines will remind her that the price of everything is going up, and she really needs to be cutting the grocery bill. She'll decide to make her own laundry soap.

Once she makes the soap, she'll want to do all the laundry in the house to try it out. Then she'll want to make bathroom cleaner and dishwasher soap.

All of the mixing of powders and liquids, will make her think of science experiments. She'll probably want to try some out with the children. You'll have to run to the store for gummy bears, gumdrops, diapers, popcorn, a movie, and some glue.

She will dig through the closets for the chemistry books, metric scales, rulers and pipe cleaners. Then she'll search the Internet to print off reams of science labs and articles.

Leading the children into the kitchen, she'll make goo, pliable putty, gumdrop necklaces, bloated bears, fake snow, and crystal snowflakes. Then she'll give them pizza, and suggest a family movie night.

After the kids are in bed, she'll realize the house is a complete disaster. She will decide to stay up late cleaning. She might even use her homemade cleaners.

In the morning, she'll be very tired. She will ask you for a cup of coffee - strong, black coffee.
And chances are if you give her a cup of coffee (even though it's very early in the morning), she will want a cookie to go with it!

5 comments:

Ice Cream Lady said...

oh my! I loved this post. I dearly love the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" story and this is a perfect adaptation to a mom's life. I stumbled upon your blog from a Crafty Crow post about your melted crayon project. Thanks for letting me see your home school ideas and tips. I'm a homeschooling newbie, so I'll be visiting often now that I know about you.

Tara G said...

brilliant!!!!

Joyful Learner said...

How did I miss this post? So much fun!!!

Phyllis said...

I am so glad I asked that question, because I, too, missed this one. Wonderful!

Dipi said...

Very, very good. We are currently addicted to 'If you give a mouse a cookie' and some of the spinoff books. I only discovered your blog this week and have been enjoying the craft and science posts.